Every year our staff completes an intensive ten day staff training program at our Mosquito Lake Basin. During these ten days we are very busy setting up camp for the campers, learning new counseling methods, and reviewing important safety skills and procedure.
This year 35 excited staff members headed up to the Trinities on June 19th in order to be ready for all those kids on June 30th.
Check out the photos from this year’s staff training on Picasa:
Here is a sample of what we did this year:
- June 19th – We left the Bay Area as bright and early as we could and got up to the basin with a little light left to settle ourselves in with.
- June 20th
- Setting up Camp: Central, Biffies, and Storm Tents.
- Specific safety training and Unalayee mission and outcomes training along with developmental needs of campers and how they are implemented in the program.
- June 21st
- More Set Up! Waterfront, Arts & Crafts, and Rock Climbing
- Hike Prep Training
- Group dynamics, behavior management, and supervising techniques to create a safe camper environment.
- June 22nd – Staff Hikes!
- Wilderness Skills, Map Work, Tarps, Hiking with Kids, Emergency Procedures & Evac Routes, First Aid, Prevention, Radio Use, Fire Safety, Campsite Care, Stove & Fuel Safety, Cooking… The list goes on…..
- June 23rd – Day 2 of Staff Hikes!
- Leave No Trace, Water Safety, Camper Restrictions, Bad Weather, Decision Making Trail Skills, etc… (I told you the list goes on….)
- June 24th – Staff Hikes Return
- Set up more biffies and showers
- Staff Campfire!
- June 25th – Wilderness First Aid with Tom Halderman all day long!
- June 26th
- Wilderness First Aid
- Tribe Set Up
- Dinner in Tribe
- June 27th
- Skills In-Service Training: Lifeguarding, Rock Climbing, and Archery.
- Camp Policy, Staff Conduct, Child Abuse, and Sexual Harassment training.
- June 28th – Day off to relax and mentally prepare!
- June 29th
- Any last minute set-up needs: check the biffies, tribe sites, etc…
- Counseling Skills
- Program Meeting
Wow we did a lot! Good job staff! We are ready for those campers!