We are excited to announce that we will be hiring a new year round position at Camp Unalayee! We are seeking a self-motivated, outgoing and responsible individual as Assistant Director.
In order to ensure that camp continues to provide kids from all backgrounds a meaningful experience in the wilderness for years to come we are looking forward to adding an enthusiastic individual to our team to help us achieve our goals in fundraising, diversity & inclusion, and program development.
The position is part-time, with the possibility of becoming full time in the future, and offers flexibility, opportunities for advancement and skill-building.
Please see the full Job listing below
Part Time Assistant Director
Camp Unalayee Mission:
Camp Unalayee is a wilderness camp that provides young people from a wide range of backgrounds with transformational experiences and a place they can always call home. Our programs offer a balance of independence and responsibility that encourages young people to discover their identity while developing self confidence, a habit of stewardship and deep respect for their fellow human or world. We are committed to building a community that honors diversity and teaches inclusivity.
Through a program defined by wilderness immersion, diversity, empathy, collaboration, creativity, and fun, our campers:
- Grow through personal challenge and cooperative living
- Develop respect for themselves and others
- Discover the confidence to stand up for what they believe
- Accomplish the unexpected
- Are transformed into stewards of wild places
Assist the Director with:
- Develop innovative strategies for fundraising which will help us better serve low-income communities and communities of color.
- Communicate with donors
- Plan fundraising events
- Camper Recruitment/Retention
- Develop ongoing relationships with community groups that serve communities we aim to reach, including lower income communities, urban communities in the Bay Area, and communities of color.
- Attend community events, including camp fairs, informational meetings, house meetings to provide camp materials and engage potential campers and their parents.
- Program Development
- Help create programming on inclusion and conflict resolution
- Help develop and run non-summer programs that will help recruit and retain campers
- Be at Unalayee for the summer
- Assist the Director with day-to-day operations, including:
- Staff Management
- Program planning
- Program and staff evaluation
- Stand in for the Director in case of an emergency or other extenuating circumstance
- Dedication to sharing the wonders of wilderness, community, compassion, and cross-cultural understanding with people from all backgrounds.
- Be able to attend summer camp in the Trinity Alps Wilderness each year
- Basic computer skills, ability to learn software
- Be able to travel around the Bay Area to attend events and meet with organizations, donors, families, and campers
- Ability to work on diverse teams, as well as independently
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present to a group
Fall/Winter/Spring: 20 hours a week average in the San Francisco Bay Area with the possibility to become full time
Summer: 12 weeks full time in the Trinity Alps Wilderness of California
Opportunity for a motivated individual to help further define and expand the position
Ideal start date: June 1st, 2016
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume with references to: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15th. Please include any pertinent experience, including professional and personal experience, that is relevant to this position. Call 650-308-4453 for questions.
Camp Unalayee is committed to diversity. People of color, LGBTQ and multilingual people are encouraged to apply.